Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

After much contemplation before Lent begins, I’ve decided that this year, I’m offering to God a terrible Coke habit that I’ve developed in the past few months. Don’t worry – it is the type that comes in a liquid form from a red can. But seriously, I never been one to drink a lot of soda, but my life has been pretty chaotic the past few months and I truly need at least a can per day. I was going to stash my supply of coke in the basement last night, but I have no will-power so I decided that it would be easier to just dump the remaining soda down the sink. I started doing the "one shot for the sink....two shots for me"...think and probably drank the equivalent of three cans of coke last night. I was so hyper that I read 2 chapters from my Macroeconomics textbook, cleaned my house, and re-calculated my taxes “just for fun”! Anyway – back on topic.

My second thing that I’m gong to give to God is my unattractive habit of thinking that I have more control over things than I really do. So, I’m taking control over the things that I have control over and giving the rest to God and trusting that his plans unfold.

4 comments:

Just Mom said...

Sounds wonderful, Amanda.

I wrote down this Serenity Prayer on an index card and keep it where I can see it:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Amanda said...

Aisha - You have no idea how much that prayer hits home with me. I'm going to write that one down and tape it to my forhead!

Lori said...

I love your post Amber.
I love that prayer too gals. I think I will write it down and tape it to my mirror.


I also like your new picture on your side bar. Very pretty.
I told Al, we need to change our sidebar photos. So I hope to get that done tonight. It's the first night that we are both home.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Did you know that even in failure God sees the heart and knows that what it is we want so badly to do for Him? So even in your moments of weakness with the soda He knew your heart.

I also need to release me need to control...because the truth is very little is actually in my control anyway.