Sunday, April 15, 2007

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe

I was hoping to get some sleep tonight, but no can do. I'm convinced that I'm on my way to spinsterhood for sure now. TBS plays the syndicated "Friends" episodes and I don't know if any of my blogging buds remember the old man who lived below Monica and Rachel's apartment (the one who would tap on the roof with his broom). Well, I'm pretty sure I"m slowing becoming that old man. I living in a duplex and there are two guys who live in the apartment above me and I have the bottom two floors. Last week I had the flu bug and was so unbelievably crabby and usually the guys upstairs are soooo quiet, but that night I could hear everything. Anyway, I actually grabbed my slippers, threw on my bathrobe, and tapped on their ceiling with my broom handle!! I don't know what possessed me to do it....it just seemed like a logic move at the time. The next morning I was feeling healthier, but very embarrassed.

Tonight I was trying to read and I don't know what they were doing up there but as much noise as they were making, I can only assume they were square dancing or bowling. Anyway, I grumbled to myself "those kids are always making so much racket". The minute the words came out of my mouth, I forced myself to watch MTV for 30 minutes. UG! I'm sure glad that Alex will build an extra wing to his house someday so I can live with him and his future wife and kids. Yep, I'm either going to be the old man from Friends or the mother from Everyone Loves Raymond!

7 comments:

Lori said...

Cute post. That is funny.
Friends was one of our favorite shows.
I probably would've done the same thing with broom and tapped on the ceiling. The noise would get annoying.
I'm the type that is a light sleeper and hears everything anyway.
Maybe run a fan or one of those sound machines to drown out the noise.

Andrea said...

Of course, I remember that episode. I am a HUGE Friends fan.

Anyways, when we moved to Fargo we lived in an apartment while we were selling our house in Watertown. One weekend we all came down with the flu and the college girls above us were SO LOUD! There was lots of laughing and I think they had one of those bumpy balls that if you turned it on it hopped all around. Remember those? It was 8:00 and everyone else in my family was alseep and I finally couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed a broom and tapped on my ceiling and they had the nerve to stomp at me. I thought, girls, you really don't want me to come up there.

My husband can't believe I did that! But it's true, I really did!

Amanda said...

HA! Too funny Andrea! I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only one. Considering how crabby I was that night, had those two guys stomped back at me....you probably would have been hearing about me on the 6:00 news. They really are great guys - they mowed the front yard, cleaned the sidewalk when it snowed...and I've never had a noise problem. Oh well...I know the one guy is engaged so maybe it's just a little glimpse into what a woman is like to REALLY live with.

Amanda said...

Oh - and great idea Lori! I might have to try that! I use to have one of those fountain things in my bedroom, but it made me run to the washroom every 5 minutes!

~ Amy ~ said...

Oh, the headaches of living in an apartment come quickly back to me. I feel for ya, and understand completely.

Tracy said...

I am also remembering the days in an apartment. I would have a fan during the summer and a humidifier during the colder months to drown out the noise. Still do it to this day. I guess you could say...you get used to it!

Just Mom said...

"The minute the words came out of my mouth, I forced myself to watch MTV for 30 minutes."

It's funny what we do to hold on to our youth. :-)

I've done that too (the tapping with a broom handle). It never worked. I should have just called the cops.