Monday, April 30, 2007

40 Years of Marriage



We had a very special weekend! My aunt and uncle, Jerry & JoEllen, celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. WOW – 40 years!!! Anyway, the local mental institution gave everyone in my family a weekend pass so Alex and I headed back to the Twin Cities for the party. My cousins (more like their wives) planed a surprise party for them and I have to say…they did a great job! Leave it to them to plan a SPECTACULAR party.

The evening started off with, of course, the big surprise. My cousin Joel and his fiancée Becky were in charge of getting Jerry & JoEllen to the party. They told them they would be picking them up around 5:30 for supper, but had no idea of what was going on after that. Jerry and Jo were COMPLETELY blown away – they had no idea of what was in store for them. Jo’s friend Joan made sure they had NO idea by calling Jo Saturday morning and asking her what their plans were. Jo just said they boys have something planed….maybe a train ride or something. Jo called me last week wondering if I wanted to come up for their church clothing sale (this is a sale that seen 26,000 people in the first two days) and reluctantly I said no telling her that I had other plans. heheheh. They were so stunned when the seen all of us at the party!

What a memorable party. I know that when my family gets together, there is an abundant of laughs, music, laughs, beer, food….and more laughs. I feel so blessed to have a family that doesn’t take life too seriously and I feel TONS better about myself and life after I get together with them. K – That didn’t come out exactly like I wanted but you get the picture. My stomach seriously hurt the next morning from laughing all night. We had an impromptu jam session to start the night off – another reason I’m blessed (some may say cursed rather than blessed) is that so many people in my family share a passion for music. From the time I was in diapers (no Dave/Tim/Joel it wasn’t last week) I remember music always being around my family. We played a few songs, had a few laughs, then the DJ started. The Horazuk gang sang Sweet Caroline (or something like it) in a key that had never been heard by human ears before. Way to go guys! Then we danced all night....waltz, polka’s, Texas two-stepping…and whatever it is that Cori and Lauren do (j/k girls). Alex was break dancing and doing the worm....he and I get bored at home way to often. I think the highlight for me was watching uncle Jer get up on the chair and dance to “I’m too Sexy for my shirt”. HA – and we got Jo out there for “I knew the bride when she use to rock n’ roll”. The night went by WAY too fast and soon, we had to say goodnight but not without dancing to what many describe us as…. B*A*N*N*N*A*N*S

Jerry and Jo have been such wonderful people to so many. I don’t even know where to begin when talking about how much the mean to me. They’ve picked me up so many times when I needed it and I could NEVER express how grateful and blessed I feel to have them in my life. They’ve always opened their home to whoever needed shelter, generous beyond belief, never took life too seriously, and always more concerned with everyone else then themselves. Jerry mentioned that JoEllen just always let him be himself in their marriage and I think that is what makes them such a special couple. On my way back to MD, I thought a lot about their marriage and all the years and what makes them work. I think what makes them such a great couple is that they are to each other what each one lacks. I hate quoting sappy movie lines… but they really do complete each other. Neither tried to change the other….they just lived.

I miss you guys more than you know and I just wanted (one more time) to say congratulations Jerry and JoEllen and here’s to many more years. Just please – no more reproducing. The world can’t handle another Tim, Dave and Joel!

6 comments:

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Wow, 40 years, that's great. They must be doing something right. Are you sure your stomach didn't hurt the next morning from the beer instead of laughing??!! When my family gets together it is the same thing, laughter, food and lots of beer (with green olives). I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I was so happy you could make it... it was a great time!

Lori said...

That is great! Thanks for sharing the slide show. It was so fun to see all of the pictures. It looks like everyone had fun time!!
Looks like Alex had a fun time dancing. It was fun to see pictures of you playing the guitar.

Just Mom said...

You guys look like one fun bunch.

Congratulations to your Aunt and Uncle.

Amanda said...

Yes...IT WAS BLAST! Hmm...maybe it was the beer. I made sure to have lots of cake in my belly before I had a beer though.

Alex had bruises on his knees from doing the worm! I tried to do the worm at one point but my old back just couldn't handle it anymore.

Heather - just want to say again YOU ROCK!!! I'm sorry for crying like a baby when I left my there's no place like home. I miss you guys and I can't wait for our first camping trip! YAHOO!!!!

David said...

Your blog is so uplifting. Thank you for sharing.