Thursday, April 26, 2007

God's Vision Through The Words of A Child

I had scheduled a portrait session for Alex and me at Estelle’s photography on Sunday. She was doing a mother’s day special and I had not had my portrait taken with Alex since he was two months old.

Well, his dad called on Thursday to say that he was heading back to the cities for work which means he won’t be able to see Alex as much so he was wondering if Alex could come down on Saturday. I agreed to it but explained to him that I would be picking Alex up pretty early Sunday morning since we had these pictures scheduled. I used to cry my eyes out when his dad would call because it was terribly difficult to be away from him for twenty-four hours, but to be honest; the break is sort of welcomed now. I knew I was ready for a bit of a break a few weeks ago when Alex was brushing his teeth in the bathroom and I barged in and stepped on the scale to weight myself. He (very innocently I understand) looked over and screamed “holly cow mom – you weigh like 1000lbs”. I just smiled and walked out of the bathroom but thought to myself “I wonder when your dad is going to call”.

Anyway – Sunday morning came and I picked him up at his dad’s and was surprised – no….more like horrified to see that his dad buzzed his hair. It wasn’t even a good buzz cut since he left the top all shaggy. It sort of resembles a really bad mohawk cut (as opposed to a really good mohawk cut?). I was disappointed because I wanted to pictures to turn out perfect. When I received the proofs, I was impressed with the quality of pictures she took but was bummed because the picture I liked the most had an imperfection – a shinning light in the background. However, I figured that I would just call her and see if she couldn’t remove the light.
As Alex and I were looking at them, he pointed to that picture and said “look at that light mom”. I responded with my snooty disappointed look and said “I know….I wish that light wasn’t there” He looked at me and said “maybe it’s God or something”. I smiled but had to walk away because his wisdom and insight made me feel inches high. First I was worried about a silly haircut on him and then I was so shallow that I looked right past the beauty of this picture and focused on the imperfection. It suppose to be my job as a mother to teach my child life lessons to prepare him for adulthood, but I think he teaches me more then I do for him. For the next few minutes I just sat there and cried and decided to order the picture with the light shinning through without changing a thing to it. .

I hope that someday I can see people and imperfections the way he does – through God’s eyes.

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I think the photo looks great! Wise child!

Anonymous said...

I think little boys are cute with little buzz cuts... and some little mohawks are cute. My nephew has a buzz cut and the mohawk part is maybe an 1/4 inch longer so he doesn't look like a baby punk... and it fits his crazy man personality! I bet it'll grow on you, especially with summer coming -- and he'll be cooler when he's out doing little boy stuff.

Amanda said...

“crazy man personality”- too funny! I dress Alex so preppy – my friend Jon use to call him Poindexter.

Will Noah be there this weekend?

Just Mom said...

That was a very beautiful story, Amanda. I like the photo, too. Great insight from your little guy (the light, not your weight ;-) ).

Tracy said...

That was so cute what Alex said. It's too bad about the light but then again...it's GOD...CUTE!

Glad you got pictures taken...

Lori said...

I love this post. You brought tears to my eyes too. That is so true.

Your pictures turned out great!!

Amanda said...

I still can not look at that picture without getting teary eyes.

~ Amy ~ said...

It's a beautiful picture. I think his new little "do" is cute!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I love the picture, good choice to listen to Alex and leave the light there!